What is COWS?
The Central Ohio Whiskey Society was started October 9, 2019 with the idea of putting a group of like minded whiskey enthusiasts to explore, be educated, create experiences and have fellowship with other whiskey lovers. The first meeting started with 12 people and has grown into a large membership in Central Ohio.
We feel the success is based on the COWS purpose.
- RESPECT MEMBERS – Being respectful to all members at all times.
- INCLUSIVENESS – All are welcome as long as they are willing to adhere to the rules of the COWS. It also means that no “whiskey snobbery” will be allowed as we want all to be tolerant, inclusive and respectful whiskey enthusiasts.
- EDUCATE – We want to provide as many opportunities as possible for people to learn more about whiskey in all different areas.
- EXPERIENCES – Curate and offer unique experiences around whiskey.
- EXPLORATION – Introduce and provide as many opportunities for members to try and find different whiskies.
The starting point, even before the Facebook presence, was our monthly meetings. The point of the meetings was to allow people to explore what you will like without the influence of marketing, the bottle, reputation, or price. The other important part was to meet the great people that are enthusiasts of whiskey as well as part of the whiskey industry. We like to say that whiskey brought you here, but the people are what keep you coming back. We meet on the second Wednesday of every month. When tickets go up for sale, don’t hesitate as its always a sell out.
One of the aspects the came about very early with COWS was the charitable spirit of the group. We feel there is not a better group of people than American whiskey lovers and their willingness to give back. We have supported numerous charities locally as well as partnered with distilleries for their charity efforts. It is one of the proudest aspects of being a part of Central Ohio Whiskey Society.
Close to our first anniversary, we introduced our first barrel pick, which was a Woodford Double Oaked named “Until the COWS Come Home.” Since then, we have done many barrel picks that have universally been praised for being some of the top barrel picks done for each of the whiskey brands. This includes our Maker’s Mark Private Selection being chosen to be part of the annual Community Batch for 2021.
One of the great parts of barrel picks is to bring different members to the barrel pick experience. For most, this is a once in a lifetime experience that without COWS would never have been achievable.
As COWS continues to be recognized by the whiskey industry as a well-respected and influential society, opportunities to continue to do ever more unique experiences and newly discovered opportunities will continue to present themselves that will be shared with the group. Stay tuned as the next one is always right around the corner.